Sunday, August 24, 2008

A change is in the air.

I know I'm not the only one that feels it.  The end of summer and the beginning of the school year has always signified change.  But I've noticed this week in SL that change is coming.  Actually, it's here.  The world of SL is always evolving, friends come and go, buildings go up and then disappear over night.  These events are usually just a part of life, but sometimes things shift so drastically that one can't help but notice and be forced to react.  

It may have started when my very good friend, Digital Francis, left for a 3 week vacation.  I missed him before he left.  And each day I miss seeing him online, but at least I'm comforted to know he'll return.  To the contrary there are others I don't think I'll see again.  I've finally come to accept that a couple of good friends have moved on to alts, and (cover your ears) to Real Life.   Meanwhile a few of my friends have entered into relationships, and while I'm happy for them this can also mean that they aren't in my SLife as much or they are there but different.  Then recently some friends have ended relationships, endured heartbreak, and severed ties with others, all of which affects my own interaction with them.

While some these events don't always impact me directly, they at least signify that SLife is different.  I'm averse to change.  It makes me uncomfortable.  So, when SL slaps me in the face with change I get a bit sad......ummm.......melancholy.  

I've found that, much like in RL, if I just make adjustments I can cope and often I can grow. I usually go back to the basics, back to what I enjoy most in SLife.  I'll play with my prims, explore random sims, and re-visit old friends.  I've also learned that this is the period where new friendships grow, and old friendships can be rekindled.  While there is an uneasiness about what the future holds I must embrace this moment as a learning experience and as a gateway to new adventures in my SLife.

3 comments:

Peter Stindberg said...

I'm constantly amazed how fast paced SL is. It feels like a pure, distilled version of RL, but then again emotions run much higher andmuch deeper than RL as well. I was in a 6 month relationship where my partner was missing-in-action for almost 3 months, but those 6 months felt like half a lifespan. Yes, you need to adapt, but I would not want to miss any of it.

Briddy said...

*sigh* I feel a change too, and as much as change may be synonymous with adversity, it may also be a good thing. While some things may be ending, others may just be beginning. Without change there may never be an opportunity for reconciliations, healing, new love, new friends, and new discoveries.

With that being said, many hugs and kisses to you from your friend Briddy, who could tell you were down yesterday :( I'm not going anywhere! :)

dulce303 said...

Yes I agree with Peter... SL moves at the speed of sound... you hear it coming, you feel the impact and then it's gone. What's so interesting Queen, is that I have felt the melancholy of SL change pretty much from the start. Crazy thoughts like... What will happen to Kandy once I'm gone? or... Is the person who was my friend, and no longer logs, ok in RL?

By the nature of me being Gemini I should embrace and love change. In fact, in RL I look forward to change, I hope it comes my way all the time. I see myself just like the Phoenix, burning off layers that don't serve me anymore... only to reveal a new healthy state of being.

But... in SL the change does happen too fast, nothing is dependable or a sure bet. Like you said here today gone tonight... circles unite and then break up... Sims are built and then flatten....I guess it hurts because SL is the place to express your true nature. When you are that open with your emotional self things changing, for good or bad, can really hit you deeply.