Friday, May 8, 2009

Public Health Warning: Blog Drama Syndrome (BDS)

Yesterday a well-known blogger plurked that he's shutting down his plurk account. Naturally I was curious and clicked the link he attached. As it turns out he's retreating back into anonymity to work on projects that bring him joy both in RL and SL. Although I'll miss his well written posts I understand his need to make changes in order to focus on other goals.

Unfortunately the impetus for his decision was a squabble about freebies among bloggers and a resulting verbal assault (read: not meaningful or constructive) against this blogger. Now, I've been witness to these blogger dramas before. Initially I would peek at them like I would flip through a National Enquirer at a news stand. But quickly I realized that any information they provided was laced with negative energy. From that point on I've been more careful about what I choose to read and always proceed with caution and when I sense drama brewing.

But I was not careful enough. Last night I logged into SL and wandered around aimlessly. The malaise was overwhelming. I fell ill and took to my bed at approximately 8:15 p.m. I realized, as I lay there exhausted and with sadness running through my veins, that was suffering from the debilitating effects of Blog Drama Syndrome (BDS.) I had been so careful to protect myself, how could this happen to me? I'm convinced that it was not this once occurrence that did me in. However, it was indicative of how a seemingly benign issue like freebies vs. no freebies could expose the malice that festers within the minds among us. And it did me in.

Preliminary research tells me that a steady diet of butterscotch candies, good tunes, and plenty of rest that is taken in the company of good friends will help me to recover quickly. Let this post serve as a warning to you all, BDS is here and lurks amongst us. Protect yourselves. Think first before you read, write and respond. The next victim could be someone you love.

No comments: