Monday, May 11, 2009

I can read your mind.

I like to Plurk. It keeps me in touch with my SL friends even when I'm not in SL. It's allowed me to meet so many new people and to peek into their SLives and many of their real lives.

This morning my Plurk timeline was abuzz with the tragic news of the death of the RL person behind the SL avatar, Rheta Shan. I never had the pleasure of knowing Rheta but I couldn't help but to feel heartache for those around me that were close to her. My heart goes out to her family and friends, in here and out there. Throughout the day people were able to share the news, their reactions, and their remembrances of Rheta in Plurk.

But there were other topics of discussion today within Plurkdom including: hunt/freebie critiques, criticism and backlash. Someone gushed with joy as she announced her long awaited engagement. There were many hellos and good nights. At one point some plurkers were suffering the predictable breakdown of xstreetsl.com. It was a day full of angst, joy, heartache and love.

When I got home I was suffering from the effects of allergy medication, heartache, and hormones . I turned on the 'puter and stared at the Plurk time line for too long. I'm not even sure what I was looking for. Finally, I realized that on this day negative and sad thoughts were screaming the loudest at me and coming from all directions. I took a break and read a little bit of Midnight Sun. The character, Edward, is a mind-reading vampire. So . . .

That's when I began to wonder about Plurk....Is this what it would be like to be able to listen to people's thoughts? I'm privy to the thoughts of about 200 people in Plurk. And to the thoughts of all the people that respond. Some thoughts are louder, and more emotional. Some are simple and fact based. But each is there for me to read if I choose. I imagine that a Plurk time line is very similar to having the ability to listen into the intimate thoughts of the people around me. After a day like today I know that I need to remain diligent in what I choose to read or my head may implode. Hmmm, that would not be so good.

stop all the noise!!!

1 comment:

Peter Stindberg said...

What an interesting thought... indeed...